fbpx

Does the term “TOLAC” tweak you?

by | Aug 8, 2012 | Using statistics, VBAC | 10 comments

On the acronym TOLAC (trial of labor after cesarean)….

Some studies break out statistics in four ways.

1. ERCS/D (elective repeat cesarean section/delivery)
2. VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarean)
3. CBAC (cesarean birth after cesarean aka cesarean after planned VBAC)
4. TOLAC (VBAC + CBAC stats)

Because we are unable to predict who will have a VBAC or CBAC, the TOLAC stat enables us to review outcomes from a variety of angles:

• TOLAC vs. ERCS
  • VBAC vs. ERCS
  • CBAC vs. ERCS

Some women find the TOLAC acronym offensive, because it implies “trying,” so practitioners sensitive to this may want to use the phrase “planning a VBAC.”   Understanding that TOLAC isn’t a dig at moms, but just a straightforward, objective term that care providers use, can (hopefully) take the sting out of the word.

Remember, your care provider is not your girlfriend.  They use clinical terms because that is the language of their world. They speak like clinicians because they are clinicians. All that said, providers who are aware of how the term TOLAC is received by some women use the term “planned VBAC.”

So moms, you use the language that works for you! Just remember that TOLAC is really more of a clinical term and when your provider uses it, it doesn’t necessarily mean that they are a jerk.  They just may have forgotten to code switch from clinical to sensitive language.

Moms don’t typically say, “I’m so excited for my TOLAC!” However, if you do, you might make your provider laugh and connect with them on a human level.

What do you think?
Leave a comment.

What do you think? Leave a comment.

10 Comments

1. Sherri, get a grip! No one cares that you are a midwife and are easily offended by a medical acronym! It is used because it is a specific term that tells REAL providers in exact terms what the plan is for a particular patient. A negative spin!? Who gives a crap? Do the parents care what medical words are used when they have a safe and sound baby? Probably not.

2. Yes, I find it offensive. As a Midwife of many years and attended many VBAC’s OOH,I do not say this to my clients.If we use those types of words it puts a very negative spin on her labor, as her body is not on trial to see if her labor or herself is adequate.She is simply in labor with the same expectations any other woman has for her upcoming birth. As I work with many women, I attempt to make every pregnancy, labor and birth as normal as possible, women attempting a VBAC need to be reminded she is as normal as any other woman giving birth. There is enough negative thoughts in many pregnant women in our society as it is.

3. Do I find it offensive? No. Does it bother me? Yes. I am not asking your permission if I want to have my next baby vaginally, I am telling you what I am doing. I heard that phrase bantered about while in the hospital recovering from my first birth which was a c-section. I had two providers while getting my prenatal care, and after my c-section the first one to visit told me that I could have a TOLAC. After I looked up the term I was a bit miffed. I was not asking her permission, I was telling her that is what I wanted. When I saw my second provider for my post-partum, he delivered me, he said he saw no reason why I had had the c-section other than length and so was highly optimistic. He said he preferred I try a home birth and he would be there for me if I had to transfer!! Two very different reactions from doctors. One made me feel upset and one was encouraging. Guess which doc I will see when it comes time for #2!

• Megan,

I hope care providers read these responses so they can see the great difference a small change of language can make.

Warmly,

Jen

4. Absolutely!!! I first heard the term TOLAC when I was being triaged for the birth of my second child. It felt so condescending. In the same sentence I was told that the doctor had done her calculations and that I had a 53.7% chance of a successful VBAC. Luckily I shrugged it off and didn’t listen to her and chose to focus on my plan and with the help of a wonderful doula, nurse and husband delivered my second baby vaginally. What an empowering and awesome VBAC I had!

5. Hahahaha! If only we really had ‘TOLAC Troopers’ – I bet the VBAC success rates would be higher if we rocked up to hospital with one of them for birth support. 😀

• Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding!

Glad to see there is a fellow birthy person who loves the SciFi! 🙂

When I was trying to find a pic for this post, that was one of the first things that came up and I just cracked up! 🙂

Warmly,

Jen

6. I know that it’s a technical term, and (like Kimberly) I don’t have a problem with it used in retrospect. However, I feel that a supportive care provider will talk about a woman’s future VBAC, rather than emphasizing that he will let her “try.”

• Maggie,

Yes, when care providers say “you can try for a VBAC,” that really rubs me the wrong way. To me, that smells a bit of unsupportive lingo.

Jen

7. I have no problem with TOLAC as a retrospective term. I do not like it when used by CPs in talking to VBAC mothers. That language (trying) is not generally used in primip births, and shouldn’t be used in VBACs either.

Submit a Comment

Jen Kamel

As a nationally recognized maternal health advocate and Founder of VBAC Facts®, Jen helps perinatal professionals, and cesarean parents, achieve clarity on vaginal birth after cesarean (VBAC) through her educational courses for parents, online membership for professionals, continuing education trainings, and consulting services. She speaks at conferences across the country, presents Grand Rounds at hospitals, advises advocates seeking legislative change in their state, and serves as a expert witness in legal proceedings. She envisions a time when every pregnant person seeking VBAC has access to unbiased information, respectful providers, and community support, so they can plan the birth of their choosing in the setting they desire.

Learn more >

Free Report Reveals...

Parents pregnant after a cesarean face so much misinformation about VBAC. As a result, many who are good VBAC candidates are coerced into repeat cesareans. This free report provides quick clarity on 5 uterine rupture myths so you can tell fact from fiction and avoid the bait & switch.

VBAC Facts does not provide any medical advice and the information provided should not be so construed or used. Nothing provided by VBAC Facts is intended to replace the services of a qualified physician or midwife or to be a substitute for medical advice of a qualified physician or midwife. You should not rely on anything provided by VBAC Facts and you should consult a qualified health care professional in all matters relating to your health. Amazon Associates Disclosure: Jen Kamel is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Created By: Jen Kamel | Copyright 2007-2019 VBAC Facts. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy