Looking for a speaker for your continuing education event?
Join Jen when she presents “The Truth About VBAC™ for Professionals” in Las Cruses, NM on Saturday, September 24, 2022. Part of the Conversations on Birth – VBAC & Boundaries collection by New Mexico Doula Association
She has presented at national conferences including the American Association of Birth Centers, GOLD Learning, DONA, Lamaze, International Cesarean Awareness Network, and Human Rights in Childbirth.
She has also presented at regional events hosted by the Birth Network of Monterey County, the Indiana Midwives Association Annual Conference, and ICAN of Cleveland’s Women and Birth Symposium and Grand Rounds at California Hospital in Downtown Los Angeles, California.
Do you want to increase VBAC access in your community through changing hospital policy?
Are you tired of reading sources that seem to conflict with each other?
Do you want reliable information, but are too busy working to spend months compiling it?
In her signature program, “The Truth About VBAC,” Jen takes you on a guided tour through the medical evidence while deconstructing the political barriers that makes VBAC impossible for many parents to access.
Jen has spent thousands of hours compiling and distilling the most relevant facts into one training. Spend the day with her and leave with clarity on VBAC, repeat cesarean, uterine rupture, home birth, hospital birth, and hospital VBAC bans.
- Understanding current VBAC guidelines & evidence
- Decoding how VBAC bans are established & reversed
- Uterine rupture: rates, risks, & outcomes
- How to improve outcomes while reducing malpractice claims
- Public health implications of repeat cesareans
- Reviewing the evidence on hospital & out-of-hospital VBAC
- Tips on accurately & honestly communicating obstetrical risk
Program Length: 6 hours
Do you support families planning VBACs?
Do you want to learn about the evidence on uterine rupture so you can help your clients avoid the bait & switch?
You became a birth professional because you believed in the right of every pregnant person to get the care that they need during the most important and vulnerable time of their life.
Yet there’s so much conflicting information out there that may compromise your ability to give the best professional advice or guidance possible.
Or that the risk of uterine rupture increases dramatically after 40 weeks or with a big baby?
Well, I’m here to dispel the myths and tell you what the evidence actually says.
Most professionals don’t have time or desire to dig through hundreds of pages of medical reports.
Others don’t know how to evaluate medical studies… leading them to misinterpret the evidence and inadvertently mislead their clients.
You will learn:
- What does the evidence say on short birth intervals & uterine rupture?
- What is the real risk of going beyond 40 weeks gestation?
- Is it dangerous to have a VBAC after two prior cesareans?
- Do macrosomic babies mean huge risk for VBAC?
Program Length: 1 hour
We will review how forced cesareans can occur in the face of national guidelines that denounce them while professional ethics simultaneously affirm and honor the autonomy of the pregnant person.
Finally we will close with how we can turn the tide, create change, and improve the care our clients and children will ultimately receive.
- History of forced cesarean cases
- The public health implications of cesarean surgery
- The ethics of imposing these risks on women
- The perceived vs. actual legal authority
- The fallacy of litigation concerns
- The impact of an uneducated public
- The role of hospital VBAC bans
- The legislative and regulatory restrictions on midwifery
Program Length: 1 hours
Program Length: Your choice